Sunday, November 28, 2010

Strawberry ShortCake.






This Japanese version of Strawberry Shortcake is different from the American version of scone and whipped cream. I used chiffon cake layers and spread each layer with a little pastry cream and vanilla whipped cream.
I don't think I've ever come across sweet strawberries on the supermarket shelves in Brunei, the ones here are so dreadfully sour and the last thing you want is sour berries in a cake. But not too worry - I poached the berries in a simple sugar syrup and they came out fine.
I actually did a shortbread cookie base cos I thought it would add more textural interest to the cake, but I forgot that it was cooling on the counter and the cake was already half frosted, ah well! I crushed the shortbread instead and pressed it up the side of the cake, but it would have been delicious as the base!
I'm not a fan of frosting with whipped cream; my cakes never look as elegant as those outside hmm... I wonder if it would be easier just pouring the cream into a mousse ring?



And here are some macarons I made last weekend... They look deceptively beautiful but sigh... big air pockets again. I don't know what else to do.. may try the italian meringue method soon, maybe it will give me better results?

No comments:

Post a Comment