Sunday, October 3, 2010

Oh Macaron.




Come to think of it - a macaron is the most ingenious piece of pastry there is. It's hard to think how just 3 ingredients - egg whites, almond flour and icing sugar can produce this perfectly delicate confection.
To be perfectly honest, I never had a macaron before until late 2008. I was walking past a pastry shop at ION Orchard when I saw these gems for $1.80 each. I thought maybe I'll give it a try and see what the hoo-ha about macarons were all about.
well - I guess I was converted. Upon first bite, the crust of the cookie delicately snapped and my teeth made their way in this delightfully soft and moist interior.
It wasn't till much later on when I attempted to make my own macarons that I heard all the horror stories about them and how notoriously finicky and challenging they're to make, which explains why they're quite expensive to buy.
More than 40 attempts later, these are what I've come up with. No, they're not perfect but I'm glad I'm on the right track as last.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! Well done, Ben, well done indeed :) You know what they say, 40th time's a charm!
    xx
    nikki

    ReplyDelete